How can you get points to travel without a credit card?This post is brought to you in collaboration with flybuys travel.
You’ve probably been a member of flybuys for years and I know many of you save your points to cash out at Christmas. What if you could accumulate points for that dream holidays instead?
In this post, I’m going to outline the ultimate guide to flybuys travel including how best to accumulate points and tips on how to get the best deals. It’s going to be based on my best trip ever to the Solomon Islands and my plans for another trip there soon to give you an idea.
Why flybuys travel?It’s no secret I love to travel and focus on the experiences in our life. A quick look at my recent trip to the Solomon Islands, the posts I’ve done around ways to make money with travel or on how to save money with travel will show you that.
This is exactly why I am a huge fan of flybuys travel, it seems everyone else is as well as they won Best Online Travel Agency at the National Travel Industry Awards last year in 2018. Booking through flybuys travel means you can both redeem and collect points for your travel. The prices are the same (sometimes better, especially when you include the value of the points).
You will get at least 1 point per $1 spent through flybuys travel but sometimes up to 25 points per dollar. Then you can use flybuys points to purchase flights to anywhere.
So, theoretically, my flight to the Solomons would be $1,084 which would get me 1,084 flybuys points. Sometimes, flybuys travel have a bonus points offer (they have different deals all the time), if I booked when flybuys travel are offering 10x Bonus Points on travel, and I applied it to my Solomons trip I could get up to 10,840 points which is a lot of extra value!
How to get more flybuys points for travelflybuys is free to join and it’s up to you how you use your points. Here are some tips to help you accrue points faster to save you more money.
1. JoinObviously, if you aren’t already a member of flybuys sign up. Grab a card for free from Coles or sign up online. I’ve been a member for years but only recently started paying more attention.
2. Download the appSo many special offers come through the app. You’ll get emailed to activate them separately but it is so much easier to use the app. See what offers you have, activate them and shop accordingly. I don’t mean spend more money, I mean you will usually get offers for products you use based on your shopping. When you get those offers, activate them and do your shopping. It might be 500 extra points for purchasing something or another certain item might have 20x points or even more if you buy in a particular timeframe.
Also, there are often spend a certain amount each week for about 4 weeks and get 10,000 bonus points or similar offers. Pay attention to the special deals and use them.
Here are a few examples from mine (I have just cashed out points, hence the only 4 points in my account!)
3. Know where to get pointsFor any travel, book with flybuys travel to collect points and be sure to look for their special deals and offers. You can sometimes get up to 25x the points but these offers usually only last a short time so you need to jump on them when you see them.
Coles, Kmart and Target all offer 1 point per dollar spent plus regularly have extra point offers. However, flybuys has numerous partners you can get points with including Coles Express, Liquorland, Budget Rent-a-car, First Choice Liquor, Adidas, AGL, Fitbit, NAB, eBay, Kleenheat, Coles Insurance, Medibank, Garmin and more.
4. Check your service providersAs mentioned in tip 3, flybuys has partners which means, if you’re with AGL, NAB or Coles Mastercard, check you have connected flybuys to get the bonus points offered there. You’re paying those bills anyway so you may as well get the points! Be sure to do a proper comparison and get the right product for you. Plus, when comparing prices make sure you include the value of the flybuys bonus in the total.
5. Get healthyIf you have health insurance, it might be worth checking the offers and switching. Always compare cover properly to ensure the product is right for you. At times there are offers such as 40,000 bonus points for switching health insurance.
Look for other health offers through Fitbit and Garmin when they come up too.
6. Do the surveysCheck your receipt and emails after you have shopped. Sometimes you will get point offers to complete a quick survey about your shopping experience. You will need the details from your receipt to do it.
7. Activate and enter everythingI mentioned the app, so use it. Activate all the offers you will use, check all the emails you get sent and enter everything.
8. Book your travel with themI showed my flights at the start and how using the bonuses I can score extra points and get extra value. flybuys travel isn’t just for flights though! I checked my hotel and it is the same price as everywhere else online but I can collect or use flybuys points for my stay. See:
You can also book car hire, cruises and packages through flybuys travel. So next time you are travelling, check the site and book through them to get more points. You can use your points to pay for all or even just part of your trip!
Importantly, you don’t need to have enough points to pay for your entire trip. If you only have $10 worth of points then you can use them to pay $10 toward your holiday.
Exactly how many points can you get?It will vary drastically depending on your spending habits and how you accrue points. For example, in some of the groups I am in there are people who are amazing at using the bonus points systems, they do the bulk of their shopping through partners and always stock up when there are bonus points offers.
I mean, who wouldn’t want to use their points to travel to a paradise like this to dive, snorkel, surf and have an amazing time? (Solomon Islands Discovery Cruises pictured at Mane Bay, Solomon Islands by Katrina Walsh Photography. I was here in December with Kat).
Be strategic, use the app, plan your shopping, don’t spend just to get points and you can do it too.
How to get points with flybuys partnersBonus offers will vary and drastically increase how many points you can get to use for your travel. At the time of writing, these are the standard points from each partner:
Adidas = 3 points per $1 spent for online purchases
AGL = 1 point per $1 spent if you sign up for e-Billing, otherwise 1 point per $2
Budget = 3 points per $1 spent
Coles Supermarkets = 1 Point per $1 spent
Coles Express = 1 point per $2 spent
Coles Credit Cards = up to 2 points per $1 spent depending on the card chosen
Coles Insurance = an extra 1 point per $1 spent at Coles Supermarkets (to a maximum of an extra 1,000 points per month)
Coles Personal Loans = an extra 1 point per $1 spent at Coles Supermarkets (to a maximum of an extra 1,000 points per month) eBay = 1 point per $2 spent
First Choice Liquor = 1 point per $1 spent
Fitbit = 10 points per $1 spentflybuys travel = 1 point per $1 spentGarmin = 10 points per $1 spentKleenheat = 1 point per $1 spentKmart = 1 point per $1 spentKmart Tyre & Auto = 1 point per $1 spent
NAB = 1 point per $1 spentTarget = 1 point per $1 spentPartner specific terms and conditions apply
If I had a million points my daughters and I would hit up the Solomons for sure. The trip I took was absolute bliss. It had everything and the Solomons is the perfect paradise but not yet commercial so you can truly switch off and experience another culture. Think about it, if you had free points to travel anywhere, where would you go?
Kids playing at the Solomons by Katrina Walsh Photography
How to get the best dealsFirstly, be prepared. Do everything you can now to accumulate as many points as possible to redeem and use for travel. You can simply let the points add up until you decide what you want to do with them – then you can redeem them instantly!
Think about where you want to go and start doing some research. Use the app and check your offers all the time. When it’s time to book be sure to check the flybuys travel website and read through the deals. Then act quickly to secure the bonus offers! Many offers don’t last long so you need to jump when you have the chance.
Personally, I love to travel and think the best value comes from using these options for international travel. I have my eye on a few trips including going back to the Solomons as well as other islands in the South Pacific. Even better, I keep seeing bonus points for travel to the destinations I want with flybuys travel so I will be sure to book something in soon!
My plans for flybuys travelI shared details of my trip to the Solomons above. The dates I used were just an example, I’ll be going at a different time but still booking through flybuys travel. With all the travel I do, I can book through them, save money, get more points and later use those points for more travel! Since I don’t use a credit card, flybuys travel provides an excellent option for me to save up and travel with my kids. I also have tips here for ways to save money with travel and more here for ways to make money with travel, even as a family.
Where would you go with flybuys travel?